day two point five...

...of the anti-cancer, all-organic, raw foods diet we've embarked on--and of no caffeine or diet cokes for me. Oy. So far I am not having bad headaches, but am drinking decaf green tea which gets me over the rough spots. One of the hardest things for me, I realize, is that I've had a pretty bad sweet tooth in recent years. Last night I wanted something sweet so I ate some raisins and that seemed to do the trick for me. After grocery shopping last night, the kitchen counter looked like we were opening a vegetarian restaurant. I've been vegetarian for years now, but that does not mean I've been eating this many vegetables and fruits by any stretch. It's pretty amazing the amount of produce you go through when eating only raw foods.

So what does a "raw food" day look like? For breakfast yesterday we had berry-banana smoothies. For lunch I had raw almonds and a bottle of "Green Machine" juice. It's a heavy duty, fresh fruit juices with spiralina and wheat grass. Very yummy, if you've never tried one. They sell them in the health food section of the grocery. For dinner I fixed a recipe I found on the web called "raw spagetti and sauce". The "pasta" is raw zuccini, cut into very, very thin strips. The sauce is made from sundried tomatoes and fresh tomatoes and garlic and basil and some other veggies, all chopped together in the food processor. It was actually very good and satisfying, and even though my son was eating regular pasta right in front of me, one of my favorite things in the whole world, I was not feeling deprived. Last night I soaked shelled buckwheat and dates, and this morning, following another web recipe, I put the buckwheat, dates, an apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg into the food processor. It makes a sweet, cold cereal that, quite honestly, was just delicious. Tonights dinner is going to be Tabuleh with soaked grains and a raw asparagus soup with tahini. We have avocados ripening and grains soaking and life feels abundant and good.

I think we can do this. I am gathering recipes, and of course you can always just eat raw fruits and veggies and nuts (but that gets old). I'm finding that I really have to plan ahead with soaking grains and nuts for some of the recipes. For instance, we are going to have these raw "milkshakes" that are supposed to be quite delicious, but requires soaking almonds for 24 hours. We also really need a food dehydrator for some of the recipes. I have a good juicer and a halfway decent food processor, which are also required.

We are both really excited about starting this, not just for the possible effects on the cancer, but for our overall health. It gives us something to be excited about, a new goal to share, new food options to explore. I think those things in themselves are something very positive in our lives. L says it is somewhat symbolic that we started what he calls our "rebirth" on Easter. It is definitely a rebirth of a lot of ideals about health and conscious eating that both of us have believed in and lived at various times in our lives, but had fallen away from in the rush of life.

Comments

LH said…
fyi: i'm making a leek/barley slow cooker dish.
Julie Anna said…
What is this cooking I keep reading about? Have you taken it up? And more importantly, does that put the P-man on clean up? Anything warm sounds good to me right now. Anything. I'd kill for pasta.
LH said…
I know. I'm kind of cooking now. Mostly slow cooker stuff which really means I know how to chop, not that I know how to cook. Yeah, Pman's on clean up, but I must say, after 20 years on clean up detail, I'm the cleanest chef you would hope to meet, so it's not the same. I'm on a low carb deal right now and I HAD to have pasta and a sandwich yesterday. I think I'm over it for a few days. Just had to have a fix.

Popular Posts