give me a sign

Hyperbole aside, I will say that I very rarely sleep anymore, and almost never between 2am and 5:30am. Last night I listened to a whippoorwill for an hour or so. I should get up and do something, but I'm always convinced that any minute I will fall back asleep, and I don't want to miss my chance. I do hear things, though, that I might not hear if I was a normal person who slept at night. Last fall I had an owl friend. Hopefully whippoorwill will visit again.

But this is not much of a story, so I'll tell you how I got a deep discount on a nice dress. (I decided that it was critical that I have a little-black-dress and with a couple of events coming up, and no respectable dress, it became a pressing issue, and thus, off to the mall at 7:30pm last night with a credit card and a goal.) I was suffering the usual anxiety and failure that I usually experience when clothes shopping and was in the last store in which I intended to look before slinking back home empty handed. I was standing there, looking at a wall rack holding a dress that not only came in my size, but looked like something that might work. Could it be? Just then, out of the clear blue florescence of overhead mall lighting, a big four feet by four feet sign fell off a high shelf over the dresses, the edge of it landing smack in the middle of my head. I bent over in pain and sort of moaned. The young salesperson ran over and started cooing around and saying she was very sorry, although I really think she felt no personal responsibility. I think she half expected me to start yelling that I would sue, or something. She ran to the sales desk and presented me with a twenty percent off coupon as the lump on my head swelled and throbbed. I was determined to still try on the black dress, and it was an ok dress, so I bought it and I got twenty percent off. I'm not made for this whole shopping thing, but despite the lump--which has gone down some today--I pretty much scored big. 


Comments

Bruce said…
Facinating story J.
So, what's the deal on sleepless in Sealy posturpedic land?... Missing me aren't you?
Like your pic on the last post.......HOT!

B

Popular Posts