here is where I am with cars

I was whining on an email group about son's latest old car needing repairs yet again. Oh how I sometimes long to be one of those parents who can make the outlandish gesture of a BRAND NEW CAR for my beloved son, even though, of course, there is no object lesson in receiving a brand new car for free, is there? (Frankly, I think we've all had it up to here with object lessons and could become fabulously wealthy at this point in our lives without losing perspective.) So I am whining about what husband says are probably transmission problems, and male friend on email list who knows a thing or two tells me it could be minor. And I have to ask him, are there minor things with transmissions? Dare I even hope? I have never had a clue about car crap. Engine stuff doesn't soak into my head because I have zero interest in it. I've tried to force some interest, for my own good, but alas, this has not helped cure me of my complete ignorance of all things motorized. I just want the damn thing to go, and if it makes a weird sound or stops going, I want someone to make the bad sound go away and make it go again. That's where I am with cars--major issue with avoidance. So anyway, when I hear "transmission trouble" I immediately imagine something large and critical and metallic and all covered with oil seizing up and falling off the bottom of the car and costing the same as one semester of son's University tuition to fix. (photo: gift from son on the bumper of my unromantic yet trouble-free hyundai)

Comments

Popular Posts