months in, months gone

The last time I blogged I was preparing for the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon (photo). That was months and months ago. I did better than expected, and so did my running buddy Tanya. We did so well and we were so pumped up by this feat, that we immediately decided to launch into a marathon attempt. We searched for a marathon that was sort of close and sort of flat and in the early Spring before the worst of the heat and humidity hits the Midwest. We settled on a marathon in Athens, Ohio, a smallish college town. Sounded perfect. Now we just had to train. We plugged our dates into another Relentless Training Plan (RTP) and we have been chugging through this plan for three months now. We have run outside every week this winter. Every bleepin' week. Wait, there might've been one week when the sidewalks were pure ice that we had to go indoors. I think we did a total of two indoor runs out of desperation, but all of the rest were in snow, slush, frigid winds, and freezing temperatures. Months into this thing, I am tired. Work has been incredibly stressful, I was diagnosed with an iron deficiency (which I've been working on religiously now for several months), and just all this running, running, running. I'm tired and I'm ready to be through this thing so that I can get back to some reasonable amount of enjoyable running. And so that I can get my life back in order since running saps most of my time and energy, thus the house is a wreck, the yard is a wreck, piles of paperwork wait, undone, tasks fall off the bottom of the to-do list, forgotten and undone. This weekend the RTP said I had to do a run of 19 miles. I made it 14.5 and I hit the wall. I'd done 17 the weekend before, and a couple of hard, hilly runs during the week, and I just hit.the.damn.wall. Depression has ensued because we are now four weeks from the actual marathon and I am second guessing myself about whether I can really do it. I just have to suck it up and do this thing. I don't see how people run marathons one after the other. I am just flat out tired.

Comments

Popular Posts