a thing or two about yorkies

Everyone who knows me was shocked that I got a dog, having been a cat person my entire life. But through a turn of events, I got a yorkie and named her Tansy.  We are now an inseparable pair of smitten kittens.  After I got a yorkie, I learned a few things which would've been good to learn before I got a yorkie (reference previous post about always learning things the swift-kick-in-the-pants way).  One of these things is that yorkies are notoriously hard to housebreak.  I read this on the web, post-dog-getting, but I took it with a grain of salt because I'm basically dog-ignorant.  And anyway, my yorkie would be different.  I would be consistent and stern, yet loving.  I would get the job done. Three months later I was in complete dispair of her ever being thoroughly housebroken.  Seven months in, she is much more reliable, and she almost always waits to go outside.  She might even indicate that she needs out, if I am slow to take her hout, but she might also just pee in the floor.  I've learned (through research and now empirical evidence) that yorkies are a challenging combination of extremely stubborn and on the dim end of the brightness spectrum.  My ever-helpful son googled dog intelligence to find that yorkies are the 32nd most intelligent dog.  "Out of how many," my mother and I asked? (She got a yorkie at the same time I did, because she was looking for a small dog, and I was helping her look, which is how I ended up with a yorkie, which is why this is all really her fault.) So, "Out of how many," we asked, innocently?  "Out of fifty," says the son.  Now, this was just some list on the internet, so again, I could take it with a grain of salt that my dog falls into the bottom half on the intelligence scale, but alas, I now have a wealth of supporting evidence.  

Another fact about yorkies--they are called "perpetual puppies" because they never really lose that sweet puppy look.  At nine months old and approaching early adulthood, Tansy is as adorably cute and funny and puppylike as she ever was as a baby.   Which is why, fact number four, a yorkie will win your heart if you have one in there at all.





Comments

mm said…
I love that they are called perpetual puppies.
LH said…
That dog is damned cute.
LH said…
This photo kills me.

Popular Posts