comtemplating high summer

What would you pay for a home-grown, organic, heirloom tomato like this one, in January? Friends, you could not buy this tomato in January in Indiana for any amount of money. It can only be enjoyed right now, in this season of high summer. The moment is fleeting--warm nights and open windows, zinnias, cricket sounds, sweet corn, bird song, concerts in the park on a blanket in the grass, perfect tomatoes. On our evening walk the other night, L. said, "Just think, it will be snowing on an evening in the not-too-distant future." No! No! I yelled. Don't talk to me about snow and cold and long winter days with pink tomatoes! There will be something to embrace then, too, but in its time. This moment is here now. I am here now. And what a perfect tomato.

Comments

LH said…
can i please have that tomato?
Julie Anna said…
I know that you have a history of asking for things, and since your friends all love you, we want to give you these things. Unfortunately, we have eaten this tomato, dear heart. But should you find a perfect tomato on your doorstep, you will know that I have visited and am thinking of you slaving away on the diss.
Wolfie said…
How dare you show me this picture, when I just yesterday threw away BOTH of the only ripe tomatoes I've managed to gather? Why did I throw them away? Because the rabbit who lives in my daylilies got to them first, and what was left became ant food. Sigh. I'm going to have to be happy with the cherry tomatoes. It's better than nothing. :)

Popular Posts