a day of religious observances


I'm not sure if I'm not learning enough new things to keep up with this blog challenge, or if new things are going in one ear and out the other faster than I can stop, ponder, and write about them.  One interesting thing I learned more about this weekend was the Baha'i faith.  After attending a Presbyterian Easter service with my mom and stepdad, we had a huge Easter lunch and invited my mom's friends who are Baha'i, and since I only vaguely new what that meant, I did a little reading. The lunch guests also shared some Bahai lore.  Established by a guy named Bahá'u'lláh in the mid 1800's, it initially started in Persia and parts of the Middle East. I'm a bit skeptical about these more recent pop-up religions (e.g., Mormonism), and somewhat skeptical about certain parts of any organized religion. I mean no offense to any Mormons or Baha'i or anyone else for that matter.  I'm interested in a lot of religions, firmly believe that each person should find his or her own path, and believe that at the core of most of them there are more similarities than differences. But there are tenets of this one that I like a lot. For instance, this quote from Wiki: "Humanity is seen as essentially one, though highly varied; its diversity of race and culture are seen as worthy of appreciation and acceptance. Doctrines of racism, nationalism, caste, social class, and gender-based hierarchy are seen as artificial impediments to unity." I can totally get behind that, and several belief systems express the same idea (see above: common core). Photo: my mom's dog Perkins in his Easter lamb suit. Photo credit: John Karjanis

Comments

mm said…
I learned from reading this post. Most importantly, I learned that I feel sorry for your mom's dog.
LH said…
I used to be Baha'i. It's not that awesome.
Julie Anna said…
No dogs were harmed in the taking of these photos, but they might’ve been slightly put out. Neither Perkins nor Tansy appreciated the lamb outfit which was given to my mom by a friend. When Tansy had it on, Perkins decided that Tansy was some kind of weird toy animal and tried to shake the stuffing out of her. None of these shenanigans were in the true spirit of Easter.
Julie Anna said…
I did not know that about you LH. There must be a story there somewhere. Maybe at a future bridge party you will tell it, but I’ll miss it because I’m pretty sure I’ll never learn to play bridge. I’m assuming it’s much harder than Euchre?
LH said…
Bridge is pretty hard. I actually never was Baha'i. But I thought it would be interesting if I had been and I had a story about its dark side.
Julie said…
I didn't think you were Baha'i, but you speak with such authority. I just assume you've led secret lives.
LH said…
I probably have.

Popular Posts