the amazing circular brain

1. (One week ago today) Diet cokes are bad for me. Bad bad. Nothing but chemicals. I'm sure some of them are carcinogens. I decide, once again, to give them up for good.

2. (Just yesterday) I have gone without a diet coke for a week. I feel very good about this. No headaches, not a big deal. I also up my intake of super-healthy juices such as apple/carrot/beet and I eat several servings of dark leafy greens. Boy, am I healthy. A shining human example of healthy habits.

3. (And then last night) I watch a show on PBS about bees and Colony Collapse Disorder. It is quite depressing. I'm worried that I won't sleep, but the tone of the documentary takes an upturn. Partner says, look, they think they have it figured out. I relax for a moment, thinking that we will indeed continue to have fruits and vegetables and the where with all for human life on this planet. And then, WHAM! out of the blue, the last frame of documentary shows these words (or something very similar): "If things continue as they are, all of the bees in the world will be gone by 2035."

4. (Later that same night) I am awake quite a bit of the night, calculating the extent of the horror. How old will I be. How old will my sons be. If number one son has child by thus-n-such age, how old will my grandchild be. And on and on.

5. (One day later) I decide to get a diet coke, because what is the point in denying myself? It's such a minor thing, compared to the bees, war, global warming, living under a Republican administration. And 2035 is only 18 years away.

6. (Five minutes later) Diet cokes are bad for me. Bad bad........ad nauseum........

Comments

LH said…
This post makes me want to go buy some diet cokes. I like them in a can. And that's the only way.
Julie Anna said…
A can is the only way, mah friend. The whole diet coke experience sort of hangs on that aluminum after-taste.
LH said…
p.s. is that a mushroom in that foto?
Bruce said…
Why even worry about that since the Mayan calendar theory has us going into extinction in December 2012 anyway.
http://www.greatdreams.com/end-world.htm
Bruce said…
Ok.....enough is enough....get busy and write something else.
I need some more!
Julie Anna said…
your wish is my command. I will try to get back into the habit of blogging for your amusement, my friend. And much delayed...the picture is some kind of woodland toadstool. Probably poisonous, but I can't be sure. Found a bunch of these while hiking....WAAAY back in...checking...October.

Popular Posts