down dog

This photo is not me.  I don't know what I look like in down dog, although I spend a good portion of my life in this position.  I know that when I'm in yoga class I try to really listen, take the small adjustments to heart, and work at externally rotating this and internally rotating that to get the most out of each posture.  And when I'm doing my practice at home, I try to stay aware of all of these things, try to turn on the inner teacher voice and not just buzz through a practice on auto pilot. The times I am most tuned in are the times I feel the most calm and powerful.  Yes, calm--little miss story-writing, future-tripping, worry-warting, kid-stressing, job-freaking me.  And powerful.  Love the powerful part, too.

Just in the past two months--after faithfully practicing in class once a week for over two years, and practicing at home once or twice a week for much longer than that--a few things clicked into place for me in a big way.  Wow.  It's amazing when that happens.  When you get so deep into something that years later you realize that it all goes so much *deeper*, that you will always, ALWAYS, be learning something.  It's that way with anything we truly commit to, right?  Whatever we commit to--art, running, relationships, yoga--it all goes so much deeper.  How exciting that I will continue to make new discoveries, that I will see bulbs light up and hear those cosmic clicks in my head or in my heart or my body five years from now, and ten years from now, and when I'm 80. I love the thought of spending the rest of my life fully expecting and experiencing those little epiphanies. 


Comments

Popular Posts