surprise in the tall grass


Some history:I live on 1.3 acres at the edge of a woods (and at one time at the edge of field, although it is now being developed into big ugly houses). I have areas in my yard that I allow to be “natural” areas with the usual weeds, wild roses, tall grass, and dead trees. My crabby old neighbor (who does not even really have to look at my property because there are very tall pines between us and I’m off to the side around a curve from him) complains to me every time he sees me in the yard. “What are you going to do about those dead trees? When are you going to spray those weeds?” I told him I’m not. The trees aren’t on his property, and they aren’t endangering anything, and I have pileated woodpeckers and other woodpeckers visit on a regular basis. I have wild blackberries to eat. I have rabbits, deer, owls, and coyotes. Most of the rest of my property is sheared and tamed and urbanely gardened. So stuff it.

Well, I was out mowing the bottom of the property last night, which I’d avoided for a couple of weeks. Part of a dead tree had fallen down and there was tall grass growing all around it. I got off the mower to investigate because I thought now that it’s down, the large branch could easily be cut up for firewood for the woodstove. (Nature does provide, does she not?) When I looked down into the tall grass, safely between two branches of the downed tree, there was the baby deer looking up at me.

The poor thing is covered with grass because I was mowing so close to it without seeing it. And at first I thought it’s leg was broken because one leg was at such an impossible angle, and twisted up and over a log. I called wildlife services and the woman told me I could take a towel out (to protect from kicking hind legs) and gently lift it and see if I could get it to stand. She said that sometimes when they are scared, they will simply drop in whatever position, legs any which way. So Andy and I went out, and with some gentle coaching we got it to stand. It took a step and then got scared again and dropped into an even more impossible looking position, all tangled up in branches. We picked it up one more time and placed it back in the tall, soft grassy spot and then left it alone. Wildlife services said no doubt the mother will be back in the evening. I didn’t hear coyotes last night, so I’m hoping all is well. I rushed out the door for work this morning and forgot to check on it. I can't wait to get home, now, to see if it is still there.

Anyway, I feel blessed by this beautiful little gift in the grass. My neighbor can complain all he wants to…I’m going to leave safe spaces for baby critters.

Comments

Popular Posts