as if life isn't funny enough



Gurmukh, the kundalini yoga teacher to the stars (the closest I get is a tape I do in my living room), says a person should sweat and laugh every day. And I do try. At 40-something with a very social teenager, a full life, and full time job, sweating is hard to squeeze in sometimes, but I keep at it. In the summer heat, I've taken to going out for a half walk/half run as the sun is setting. It's quiet and calming. The sky is often beautiful pinks and oranges, sometimes a bare mist is rolling in over the fields out back. There are a few fireflies left. I like sweating at this time of the day.

Laughing, on the other hand, is usually easy to accomplish. Life strikes me as funny most of the time. My son can be a real card. The BF can be very funny. I crack myself up all the time (as the BF likes to tell me, somewhat caustically, I'm the funniest person I know). But the chicken cracks us all up. As if just seeing her strutting around the yard, looking like she's holding her bustle up, is not funny enough, we fed her some left over spaghetti the other day. Watching an overly tame chicken chow into a big pile of spaghetti is possibly one of the most ridiculously funny things I've ever seen.

An endless source of amusement, the chicken has decided that she would like to be an indoor chicken, and charges for the door every time we go through it. We, her beloved flock, go in this door, and she looks at us rather uncomprehendingly when we don't let her in, too. We let her in for a few minutes one day, just to experience the incongruity of a chicken standing in the living room. She pecked at the carpet on the stairs to figure out what sort of weird plant life it might be and if it was edible, looked around quite wide-eyed (for a chicken, "wide-eyed" is more body language than facial expression) and then we put her back out. In the mornings, she's been coming in on the screen porch where I eat my cereal. She has some bran flakes with me, we chat a bit, and that is how I work a little laughter into my day.

Comments

LH said…
i want to see a chicken eating spaghetti. But just hanging out with you will result in laughter, so if that can't be arranged, i'll accept it.
Julie Anna said…
it can be arranged. we have spaghetti weekly and you are invited to join us and our chicken for dinner anytime.
Anonymous said…
This is hysterical! I'm finally finding time to read all of your blogs, and they're great. Does your chicken have a name?

Popular Posts