book slump

Sometimes when I finish a really good book I go through a short period of mild depression. I wonder if that is a common reaction. For instance, I just finished The Kite Runner. The story was so good and right after I finished it - WHAM - I got that depressed feeling. It took me awhile to go to sleep afterwards. It's that I get so involved in the story and the characters in a good book that I don't want it to end, especially if not everything is wrapped up and completed. At the end of The Kite Runner, I still needed to know what happens to Sohrab. It can't just be over. There needs to be more. Can the author be coerced into writing a sequel? By the next day, I typically get over it and go on to the next book. And very often, when I'm laboring through a book--one that is slightly tedious or boring, maybe, but not so much that I actually stop reading the book--I'm glad to be done with it. But of course I seek out those books that are wonderfully written, that are moving and engaging, and which I know will leave me high and dry and wishing for just a little more.

Comments

LH said…
Peter's reading it now, so he keeps telling me about the horrible thing that just happened.
I'm supposed to be reading stuff for the sixth graders but I keep forgetting.
S and Q are in the same homeroom.
Yay.

Popular Posts