chicken baby

The bf and I have bonded over a chicken. We don't have kids together. We've never had a pet together. Jerry the Cat doesn't really count because he's always been called "your irritating cat", even though I've seen the bf soften towards him and even get him out a can of food on occasion. And even for the first year or so of having chickens, although it was supposed to be something of a joint effort, they largely became my chickens. But now we are down to one chicken who free ranges around the property. Being a flock animal suddenly bereft of sisters, The Chicken (whose only name is The Chicken) decided that we were her flock. She calls for us in the back yard with a screech. And when we answer "chickie chickie chickie" to her calls, she coos the happiest coo and comes running. She comes up on the screened porch if we are sitting out there. She tries to come in the house with us. If we are outside, she is right there on our feet. She learned a trick from Jerry the Cat--pecking, scratching, or whining at certain doors gets our attention. She gets very excited when we go down to the back of the yard to pick blackberries like it's her favorite activity, her big adventure for the day. She expresses love to the best of her avian abilities. The bf and I both feed her, give her treats, talk to her, talk *about* her. He called me at work the other morning, very concerned. "Did you see The Chicken? I didn't see her when I left." Our little bird-brained baby.

Comments

LH said…
This is funny. RIGHT after I read your blog I headed over to the Spoon and I was working there when a guy at the table next to me started talking about how attached he was to his chicken and how surprised he was that he had grown so fond of it. I almost asked, "do you know julie???"
Maybe we should get a chicken.
Julie Anna said…
They really are the sweetest animals. My friend has a chicken who sits on the couch with him and coos in his ear. He has a very small specialty chicken, though, and we have a very fat regular chicken...so the excrement situation is a bit different.

Popular Posts