it's just a number

I haven't run a marathon or half marathon for 22 years.
I was 26 years old the last time I ran one.
My running days were interrupted by 4 gut-slicing surgeries and 1 knee surgery.
And 2 kids, but they are 16 and 19 now and don't care if I'm gone running.
I've trained purposefully for 3 months.
I've run 233 miles since January 11th, anywhere from 3 to 12 miles at a time.
I've swallowed approximately 1/2 of a 60 count bottle of aspirin in that time.
I've run in 16 degree weather (F not C) with a 10 degree windchill factor.
I've run on 2 inches of ice, in 4 inches of snow, and through 6 inches of shoe-soaking, shin-freezing slush.
I've run for 1.5 hours through a 45 degree downpour.
I have 2 more training runs before the race 3 days from now.
It starts at 8, a time I'm always awake but never running.

I'll have to take a nervous piss at least 4 times.
I will collect a number (unknown) and run 13.1 miles at an average of 8.5 minutes per mile.
I plan to finish this 1 goal I have set for myself.
I plan to make 48 years old just a number and not a limit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good luck my friend! You rock!
I will be cheering you on!
Nancy

Popular Posts