running and then some more damn running

I've reached the point in the training plan where I really want to stop running. This happened last time I followed a relentless training plan (RTP) for getting from point A (aimless running) to point B (being able to complete a respectable half marathon). To quote Tricky Dick, "I am not a quitter," but this past week has been the worst. First was the freakish heat wave. Then I ran a little in my 5-finger running shoes one night, just for kicks, trying to see if they will help with certain foot issues. I'm supposed to ease into running in them very slowly, which I have been doing, but I went a tad bit too far, because I'm an overzealous person in general, and got some serious calf pain to show for it. On Saturday I ran the ridiculous number of miles which is outlined on the latest RTP. (Actually I bagged a couple of the miles due to calf cramps, showing some uncharacteristic underzealousness.) Sunday I ran a very hilly 4.3 mile trail race at McCormick's Creek. By hilly I don't mean "hills that are difficult to run", I mean "rock strewn cliffs which should be hiked up slowly in ankle-supporting footwear", but of course I ran them because I was participating in a run. Overall, it was the most fun I've had running in some time, but the result was more calf soreness. Tuesday, still stiffish in the calves from Sunday, it was back to the RTP for a two mile warm up followed by 4x640 speed sprints, which pretty much always hurt a little. When I left work Tuesday, I had to walk backwards down three flights of stairs to keep from crying. Today, the RTP says, mercifully, "Rest". (Photo: none. Because I could not interest my family in attending this trail race, or any other race, to cheer me on. I am looking to hire out this important support position.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'll gladly come out to take pictures and cheer you on! Let me know when/where and we can get you covered!
N
LH said…
I'll come too.

You inspire me!

Popular Posts