all the action is on our street

We woke at 6:30 this morning to the flashing lights of cop cars.  Four or five of them were parked at and around our neighbor's house across the street.  These neighbors have just recently moved in and seem to be very nice, middle-aged people who are fixing up the house inside and out.  I've talked to them.  They've petted my dog.  They've been working pretty hard over there. We did notice that a number of cars were parked near their house last night, and one car was blocking a complete lane of the small side street, right at the corner, practically under a stop sign.  Whether these cars were in any way related to our neighbors or to the major police presence, we know not. I did see them examine the trunk of the road-blocking car, but I didn't see a body in there. In Bloomington, when so many cops are chomping at the bit with nearly fifty thousand students about to descend upon us any day now, it's entirely possible that way too many cop cars were sent to the scene of an illegally parked car for no good reason.  But again, I have no idea. Maybe my neighbors are part of a drug cartel.  Maybe they threw a giant painting party that got out of hand, in which case the husband and I are most disappointed that we weren't invited because I've been very friendly, damn it.  In any case, there was action afoot and so I did what any self-respecting neighbor would do--I put on my fluffy white robe, got a cup of coffee, and watched out the front window with the lights off.

This big event kept me from making progress on Barack Obama's summer reading list, shown above.  Oh Barack, how I love and miss you and want to read what you are reading, but, cops across the street and all.

Ok, this is not really why I have not made progress on Obama's summer reading list.  The real reasons are: 1. I repainted the living room and sold two sofas and our dining table, 2. I put together a coffee table and a chair which came piecemeal in big boxes, 3. I cleaned the whole house, and 4. I'm still only 20% of the way through Chernov's Hamilton, perhaps the last person on earth to read it, and it's interesting but slow going.   I may actually put it aside, for the second time, and read something from Obama's list.  I've heard the musical is better anyway.






Comments

mm said…
I just saw his instagram post and feel sad that I've only read two. I don't even have a police presence in my neighborhood to use as an excuse. I can do better!
LH said…
I wish I could know what was going on over there with the police. Please continue to investigate.
KC said…
Ugh! I haven't read any of Obama's list!!!

Popular Posts