change

I'm two weeks into Dry January now, and as I thought about things last night, I realized that my relationship with alcohol is changing.  Not that I had much more than a social relationship with it  before, but I do realize that I used my glass of wine as a crutch at times.  After the socializing, we were calling each other up to drown some sorrows--a conversation that felt productive but was really just numbing me.  Never in my life have I felt such a need to feel numb at the end of the day.  Mostly, it's Trump and Trumpists and Trumpism.  I've seen a version of people and the world that has reawakened me to the horrors that exist out there.  I was one of those people ready to call racism a dying attitude when Obama was elected. I was a privileged idiot. Now I realize it was stoked and smoking and waiting for a mouthpiece to explode into our world in a bigger way than ever. This has made me sick at heart. That's my excuse for drinking one or two glasses of wine at night, and maybe a third glass on the weekends, and I think it's a valid one.  Throw in climate deniers and the Kavanaugh hearing and conspiracy theories and it's nearly a world that a sane person can't deal with without some kind of crutch.   But.  Last night I realized that I am better without the alcohol most of the time.  I have more energy to do something rather than simply sitting at home in sweatpants, screaming at a news article on my phone. I can see myself only having a glass of wine or two on the weekends or maybe at a special dinner out and being perfectly fine with that.  I'm feeling more like my old self.

(Photo: My totally adorable grandchildren playing in the Bryan Park--the biggest draw for coming to Mama Julie's house, next to the cookie jar that always contains treats.   Honestly, a grandma without a cookie jar is sad.  I speak from experience on both sides of this equation.  My grandma's cookie jar was a cherub-faced girl with sort of holographic winking eyes, and it always had cookies in it. I wish I had that cookie jar. I miss my grandma.)

Comments

LH said…
Thanks for writing this. There's so much right now that is dragging me down. It's good to take some control, and Dry January has been helpful in that respect. Plus, I slept for 9 hours last night. Geez Louise. I don't like to admit this, but I feel more energetic as well.

I'm pretty sure I'll go back to my wine-ish ways in February, and I'm looking forward to it, but maybe next January I'll repeat the experiment.

I picture you walking from your house over to the park with the grandkids. So great.

Popular Posts