keep on keeping on



I suddenly realized that I've been saying my sankalpa or mantra for days now to get me through some things, without calling it that.  So I will make this formal--my sankalpa (for now) is, "I've done hard things before."  Sometimes I have to remind myself that I have run marathons. I have climbed mountains. I have completed weeks long hikes. I have survived kids, emergency surgeries, my husband's death, and any number of very hard things.  In fact, as the saying goes, my track record for surviving even the most difficult of days is 100% so far.  With that in mind, I forge ahead with my current goals of Dry January, trying to get myself and my belongings more pared down and organized, learning some new technologies at work, and getting back into some level of exercise that feels more like myself again, knowing full well that all of these things are things I CAN do because I've done hard things before.  Right this moment, life's simplest challenges seem barely surmountable.  Even cooking a healthy meal feels like a level of complication I can't handle--deciding on something, getting the stuff, cooking the stuff.  I've got to rally, friends, or it's avocado toast or popcorn for dinner again.

(Photo: the very large hawk that terrorized my terrier for a week.  It is now gone and I have installed a solar-powered, head-turning owl to remind it that it is not welcome back.  Having a small dog really cramps one's enjoyment of large birds of prey.)  


Comments

LH said…
That's a good sankalpa.
Still working mine out.

It's funny how you talk about not being motivated in the same paragraph that you discuss saving your dog from future hawk attacks with solar powered owls.

To me, that sounds like a major accomplishment.
mm said…
I, for one, am a fan of avocado toast and popcorn.

Great sankalpa.

Popular Posts