dreams come true


The man-cub has wanted to learn to surf for many long years. I had no idea how I was going to make this happen in Indiana, and the Carribean is mostly too tranquil to surf, at least where we've vacationed in the past. Finally, in Hawaii, at the epicenter of surfing, he was able to take a surf lesson and try his luck on a long board. One of the teachers came out of the water during the lesson and told me that Andy was out there smiling from ear to ear. It was one of those moments a mother lives for, as much as the son. He got all the way up several times, and surfed some waves all the way into the beach. We had to stop in nearly every surf shop on the island to look at surf gear and chat up the proprietors. The man-cub is considering a career in marine biology, which might also get him access to a surfer life-style. I think that would suit him just swell.

Comments

LH said…
Surfing looks really hard.
I can barely walk across the room without keening to one side, or banging my shoulder into a cabinet, so I guess it might not be the sport for me.
at the same time, it looks really wonderful and amazing.
Julie Anna said…
I do the same thing...toddle around the house bumping into walls and hitting my head getting into the car. I spent the whole vacation with a huge bruise on my thigh from bumping into the door of the airport shuttle bus. I don't know what the heck my problem is. Maybe I need bifocals.

Popular Posts