a dumb heat

The last time I caught a weather forecast, I could've sworn it was supposed to be around 90 today. This morning I turned on the weather channel, the morning ritual, but apparently someone had made a tragic mistake, and instead of getting our "local on the 8s" we were getting the temps of cities all over the US, which was no help. So, ok, whatever, I thought I knew approximately what the weather would be like today, and so I hopped on my bike and rode to work, ignorant of the true state of affairs. When I got there, workmates were aghast, even workmate who almost always rides her bike. They warned me that there is a heat advisory in effect today, that temps were to be 100F with heat index in the 115's. This is not good. The one day I don't study the weather, it tricks me and tries to kill me. Always watch the weather folks--that's the lesson here. There is a real good chance the forecast will be wrong, but at least you'll be prepared for the worst. Just to check things out, I went out at lunch and walked around the block. Even at a slow clip, the sun was so scorching and the humidity so oppressive that I had a headache by the time I came back in. So I think riding my bike home is not a good idea. I feel like a total wimp, but I called the son to come get me after school. A friend said, "Better to be a wimp than a piece of fried bologna." Never truer words were spoken.

Comments

Popular Posts