summer drags on


I hate to sound like that. I should be more appreciative of the summer season, but honestly, the intense heat we've had lately is putting a damper on my enthusiasm. I guess this is what happens to keep us anticipating the next season, and by extension, to keep us living in a place that has seasons. I told a friend the other day that the two best reasons not to live in Indiana are: August and February. But June and July were pretty sweet, and September is bearing down at breakneck speed. Mom always said, "Don't wish your life away."

Son and I kicked off a stifling August by going back to the train trestle. I thought he might be impressed, and despite the nearly unbearable heat and getting lost a few times, again, he liked the adventure. This time we were following a useless map I'd found on the web. We'd made so many wrong turns last time that that experience was no help at all in getting there this time. We eventually realized the map was useless and just plain wrong and stopped to ask directions. Those Greene County folks are great on giving directions. As happened last time, the direction giver really warmed to his subject, and after scribbling out a map on a napkin he ended with, "Turn left immediately after the new bridge. You'll know it's a new bridge 'cause it'll stick out like a sore thumb--a million dollar bridge on a fi'teen cent road." Next time I will be able to get right to that train trestle the first time. Just follow Fi'teen Cent Road, take a right at Million Dollar Bridge. This is folk wisdom, friends, and cannot be googled--it does not come without getting lost in the country several times.

Comments

Bruce said…
three words come to mind dear........... "G" "P" "S".
All the better for a tech geek like you. ;)
Julie Anna said…
Lee says that a GPS might save our relationship. (I think him learning to follow simple directions would be a bigger help..but I digress.) I only play at being a tech geek at work.

Popular Posts