making space: day 5

Firstly, I love this drawing which I stole from somewhere on the web.  It's just so me.  I let my logical brain get led around by my big ol' squishy, malleable, empathetic heart a lot of the time.  I guess there are worse things?  Probably a balance would be good.  Secondly, I just jumped into motion and completed the get-rid-of-it goal I set for myself today: one box of stuff taking up some of the very limited floor space around my desk here at the office.  This box has sat there for months now, and yet it took me only FIVE MINUTES to clear it out and put the rest of the stuff away.  Five minutes of effort, and I have tripped around the box since October.  Explain to me why I do these things?   And thirdly, I deleted every single email which appeared in my inbox and was trying to sell me something.  God forbid I should delete an email harboring a free shipping and 30% off secret code somewhere in it's HTML. But I don't need anything. Even if it's a good deal, I don't need it and I'm not buying it.  Doesn't help that I just got paid today and because of new SS tax rate, my check was down nearly a hundred buckos, and I have the holiday spending to pay off.  I do not need to spend one unnecessary red cent. 

That being said I will admit that I sat here and purchased a yoga video and a book on Amazon.  The yoga video because it comes highly recommended by a fellow runner, and is specifically designed yoga for runners.  This is health related and, I concluded, falls under the spending exception rule.  And if you buy a $15 video from Amazon, it's downright stupid not to buy a $10 book, because then they cancel out the $5 shipping, so it's like getting the book for $5.   We already called an exception on books anyway, and those of you who are John Green fans will understand how necessary it was for me to buy "The Fault in our Stars", in hardback, for five bucks.  I yielded.  I succumbed. I acquiesced. But I feel truly guilt free on this one, my friends, because both things will feed my soul.

Comments

mm said…
I totally agree with adding a purchase which is less than the shipping cost would have been to get the free shipping. Well done and LOGICAL.
LH said…
Oh no, you can NEVER feel guilt about getting that book. It should be required reading for everyone walking around this great planet of ours.

love that mind/heart graphic.

Didn't get rid of anything today, but I did push some negative thoughts out of my mind. So that's good.
KC said…
I've heard that book was amazing, so I think it's good you decided to buy it. Great challenge, btw. I'm enjoying all of these entries.

Popular Posts