funky, giddy mood

My excuses: it's friday, it's a three-day holiday weekend, yesterday was payday and I went skinny-dipping in my blow up pool while the evening cooled down around me, and I've had a tad more caffeine than usual. While in this funky, giddy mood, I serendipitously found a pope-on-a-rope on sale for $1. Tell me, honestly, is there a soul who would walk by a 6 inch soap pope for only one measely buck without buying it? Probably plenty of souls, but I am not one of them. On the back it read "Nothing will wash away your sins like an audience with this soapy pontiff." Perfect. If they'd had ten, I would've bought them all, because it's about the silliest thing you can buy for a dollar, and you don't run across that kind of deal every day. But, alas, they only had one. As it was, I was feeling so bubbly over my purchase (along with a giant purple velvet pillow on sale for ten) that I invited my friend Rod to lunch and presented him with the pope-on-a-rope, which made him laugh. Rod laughs the kind of laugh that can make my day complete. I'm suddenly wishing I'd taken a picture of Rod, smiling, with the pope soap.

On my way out of the store (with pope and purple pillow) some guys stopped me and ask if I'd partcipate in an interview for their school project. Ok, whatever. They are asking people what they think of women's clothing getting smaller and smaller. I told them that I thought grown women should wear whatever they want to wear, but it upsets me that twelve year olds now dress that way as well. (Ugh. Conundrum. Should we each be setting a good, wholesome example for the twelve year olds?) I do think that women should wear whatever they want to wear, and I think that men should get over themselves and stop learing/whistling/hey babying if it is something that makes a woman look sexy or nice or however she feels like feeling. But thta is a horrid generalization and there are all those pesky gray areas--men who don't lear because they are nice men who don't do that, women who dress with the express purpose of making men lear, men who lear no matter what a woman wears, women who don't give a crap and wear whatever pleases them and for their own reasons, etc. I've thrown out a "fuck you" for an unsolicited rude comment. I've also walked on by and ignored such things completely, seething the whole while because some jerk made me feel threatened in some way. And yes, I've been guilty of glowing a little brighter under someone's appreciative glance. So who am I to talk. It's a weird trip being a woman sometimes. Too bad I was not nearly this articulate when the guys walked up and put a microphone in my face.

Comments

LH said…
that's what i love about blogging. It's like a crazy whacked "do over" for your life.
As for the pope...that reminds me that I heard on the radio that the Catholics are trying to fast track the late pope toward saint hood. He had to perform 2 miracles to be sainted, but people are saying that he's been performing miracles for them from the afterlife. He hasn't visited me lately. But maybe he has...that big wine glass was quite a fun surprise.

Popular Posts