a large contingent of good people

Our local mosque was fire-bombed one night a little over a week ago. Last Sunday, many of the area churches and a couple of other civic groups put together a march for peace and to show support for our muslim brothers and sisters. To tell them, in no uncertain terms, that this crap will not be tolerated in our community. Boyfriend and I joined the march from the Unitarian Universalist church, about two miles from the mosque. We marched after Sunday services, just after high noon. The sun was beating down. The temperature was in the 90's. The humidity was ghastly. But it felt important to do this, and it felt good to do this, despite the oppressive day. There was a lot of car-honking, positive support along the way, which was good. The muslim community opened their mosque to all, handed out ice water and soft drinks and sno-cones for the kids. I felt somewhat better about the city I live in and the people I share it with. The Sister who spoke from the mosque described her viewpoint on violence, as a muslim, which came from her own teacher--if a man slaps you on the face, not only turn the other cheek, but run after him ask whether he has hurt his hand.

Comments

LH said…
kudos and THANKS! to you and BF for doing this. I thought about it, but then I mowed my lawn instead. You could probably hear my lawn mower over at the mosque.
Julie Anna said…
Yeah, sometimes I'm all talk, and I'm really trying to be more of a doer of things that I feel are important. Still, it is an effort to make space and time in a hectic life and things like mowing the yard fall through the cracks, and then I worry about all the things falling through the cracks. Sometimes you just have to mow the yard and contribute to your own peace.

Popular Posts