the giant jesus


We could hardly believe our eyes as we caught sight of this statue off Interstate 74 into Dayton. This Jesus must be 40 feet tall, and I wonder if it is the largest Jesus in the world. I need to do some research and find out how tall, for instance, the Jesus on the mountain in Rio is. I thought, later, that we could've gone into the sanctuary and perhaps picked up some info on the Giant Jesus, but the church was a compound of several buildings and, well, frankly, it struck me as a bit cultish and scary. In any case, we drove around till we found Jesus, literally, hiked around the little lake, and got some pictures. As Andy posed, I feared that I've been a bit lax on his religious upbringing and we were being somewhat sacrilegious. But really, a forty foot tall bust of Jesus? The very large buffalo statue at the flea market next door paled in comparison so we didn't even stop.

Comments

LH said…
Jesus, he's giant!
Julie Anna said…
Yes, we have since googled and learned that he is actually 62 feet tall and the largest Jesus in the US.
LH said…
good to know. did you find out about the one in brazil? please educate me.
Julie Anna said…
Ok, I just googled and found that the sculpture of Christ in Rio is 100 feet tall. However, that's his whole body, while the one in Dayton is only his upper torso. So let's say the torso is one-third of his body...that would put this Jesus at 180+ feet if he was complete. So maybe this is, technically, the largest Jesus head in all of north and south america, maybe the world.
LH said…
thanks for googling and passing on info. Now I'm getting really curious about seeing this giant Jesus with my own eyes. this is really amazing.

Popular Posts