moist

I read a poll, once, that found that women do not like the word "moist". It is, in fact, one of our least favorite words, according to this poll, and I agree whole-heartedly. "Overly-dry" does not bring to mind the most pleasant connotations, but "moist"--the feel of it, the sound of it, the smell of it--unless I'm talking about a cake, it is a word I tend to avoid. Moistness seeps into my bones and makes my knees hurt. I used to live in a very moist house. Infrequently worn shoes and old belts in the closet would mildew. Books would mildew. It felt as if I would wake up some morning with mold growing between my toes. I've been fortunate in my current home--dry closets, plenty of ventilation in the crawl space. However, I've had a small leak in my roof for two years. It was a bedeviling leak that outsmarted even the contractor boyfriend. This leak dripped a hole in my garage ceiling. But worse than that, it created moist conditions in the attic and the garage. Moist conditions that drew ants. Moist conditions that caused a lingering odor of mildewy dampness. I despised this leak. Finally, just this past week, after a week of heavy rains, when things could really get no moister, when even the air in my lungs felt damp and rattlely, boyfriend found and fixed the leak. I am thrilled. Moistness will eventually loose it's rotting death grip on my attic.

Comments

Interesting page!
Julie Anna said…
thanks alex. for the record, what is your take on the word "moist"?

Popular Posts