17th century bender

I'm coming off a real bender on books which take place in 17th century England, only to plop myself into the early 19th century to watch all the Jane Austin stories on Masterpiece Theater every Sunday night--the first half of Sense and Sensibility this past Sunday. I have to say that the 17th century was really dragging me down. By the early 19th, one would not necessarily have one's head chopped off for committing adultery or being Catholic, but it was still no picnic for women. Jane Austen's characters, though, did have presence. As a friend pointed out, she has a much better sense for How To Leave a Room after watching a lot of Jane Austen. I, personally, love the moments when they realize, suddenly, that they are madly in love with someone they should not hope for and dare not show it--all heaving of buxom, biting of lips, lowering of eyes, and deep blushes. To blush on command in the right circumstances could be a great asset, I think. But all that running around in long dresses and not being able to make a living would rather stink. (Photo: Hiking at Multnoma Falls, Portland, OR, sans long dress and Victorian sensibilities.)

Comments

Popular Posts