Houston, we have progress

Ack, at last we are getting some movement on this wedding stuff. I'm telling you, I work better when deadlines loom in a scary way. Hard and fast deadlines can be quite inspirational, be it wedding plans, computer code, taxes or whatever. We now have wedding rings ordered--a modernized Claddagh design, very nice, and a nod to my distant Irish heritage, the partner's very recent Irish heritage, and a design with a lot of history and symbolism that we liked. And none too soon, since it takes 3-4 weeks, minimum, to get the rings here from Ireland. We have a final appt with Rev. David to go over ceremony details next Sunday. And today I settled details with the caterer, our long-time acquaintance Anwar, who promises us an Afghani feast, but let me know he was not happy about the "outdoor" part of the whole thing. He felt that these were not ideal conditions for his delicious food. I told him that the back yard was a done deal, and so he vented his Afghani pique by telling me I couldn't have my favorite dish. Said it wouldn't hold up well when put into chafing dishes and transported. So, no Vegetarian Aushak. I was most disappointed, but cheered by the thought of baklava.

The big things left are: doing all the planting, massive cleaning effort, decorating of yard, the plans for tables and chairs and the GAG tent, purchasing and arranging of flowers, and then how the whole thing will flow. Like, how I can be hanging out with my guests while indicating to son and friend (who have offered their services for a fee) that they should refill something, light some candles, put on a more music, that sort of thing. (This is the kid who, for three weeks, stepped over the vacuum cleaner I placed directly in his bedroom doorway as a hint.) I had a brilliant idea of making my ex-marine Gunny Sargeant friend Pam the "Wedding Gunny" and put her in charge of ordering the enlisted men around. Must talk to her about that. I'm sure she's up for it.

But progress is being made, which makes me happy. (Stolen photo: World's largest wedding cake. Hoping to get an exact replica for the big day.)

Comments

LH said…
I'm a little bummed about the aushak situation.

But jazzed that you're having Afghan cuisine. AWESOME!

Popular Posts