getting on with it

Rode my bike to work for the first day this year. I could've toughed it out a little earlier, but had one issue or excuse or another. Basically, I'm a wimp first thing in the morning. It's been cold in the a.m., and I rarely sleep well and I'd rather just schlep in and have my coffee before I expect much of myself. But I'm committed to riding in as much as I can this summer, so I figured I'd just better suck up and start doing so. The first few times of the year I ride, I don't have my "system" quite down, so I made one street choice that gave me grief, I had a nearly flat tire, and I picked up the wrong keys and didn't have the key for my bike lock when I got here. So my bike is parked at my co-workers desk--she's not in today, fortunately. And my clothing choices were less than ideal (I have to plan a change of tops at least, because it's a sweaty 20 minute ride) so I look like a bum. Planning before coffee, like bike riding before coffee, is not my forte. And the traffic really freaks me out the first few times I ride. In a few days I'll get my system down and my nerve up, and things will go more smoothly. And in any case, I cut ten miles off my carbon footprint. I'm going to try to remember to tally up this year, see how many miles and how much gas savings I can accumulate, just for kicks.  Photo: damn liberal tree-hugging hippie

Comments

Anonymous said…
I think I saw you biking that a.m.! I was already past you when I thought "Hey! I think that's Julie!" Way to go you green woman! My bike is in the shop as I plan on having it on hand when the teen takes the car this summer.
N

Popular Posts