happy herper

Checking in on myself. Am I happy? No, not really. Why? I'm not sure. It just feels like an off day. Do I want to be happy? Yes. Then I'm supposed to change something. But what? I have to work today. I would change that if I could, but I really can't because of the whole roof over our heads and eating thing. Last night we had dinner and wine with good friends Mike and Nell who hail from a nearby state. It was so much fun to sit and eat and yuck it up with them on the back porch in the cool of the evening. Mike has a job retirement countdown going and then he can stop being a computer dweeb and start being a full time herpetologist (or herper, as he calls it), which is his true passion. He knows, to the day, when he can retire from his current job, and when it gets to one year, which is not that far off, we thought it would be awesome if he began making notches in a big stick at the office to show these days clicking by for all to see. I then remembered that I had the most perfect stick, a stick I found while hiking somewhere. It was beaver chewed on both ends and really was a perfect stick for notching, and so I gave this stick to my friend Mike. Maybe this is why I am a little blue today. I wish I could start counting the days until retirement. I really do. But I must still count in years. Many many years. Big Sigh. I guess what I have to change, then, would be my attitude.

Comments

LH said…
Yeah, I keep working on adjusting the attitude, but my adjustments don't last very long.

I like the stick idea. I wish I had a stick that had beaver chew marks in it. Retirement or no. You were a good friend to give that treasure away.

Popular Posts