level-headed love

The husband drives me crazy with his inability to absorb simple facts about modern technological wonders such as computers and cell phones. This photo of his own eye was taken by him using my cell phone to try to take a picture of me on my bike. Oops. On the other hand, I think I completely infuriate him with my absolute refusal to learn the simplest thing about any kind of motor or engine or any car part more critical than a windshield wiper. Lawnmowers, for instance. Don't try to teach me how to keep them running. The bottom line here is this: I'm working on this new technique for staying in a more loving place and not causing unnecessary stress. When I get angry or frustrated with the husband, before I say something to him about being angry or frustrated, I stop and take one minute to consider things on a broader level. Such as the technology versus machinery thing. If I have to mess with his computer a hundred times, it is still worth him being able to get the mower started once when I really need it and I can't get it started. Also, for instance, I started to scream the other night because for the hundredth time he had left all kinds of gunk in the kitchen sink and on the counter when it was his turn to clean up. For one second I was considering flipping out over this because it seems like a real no brainer to rinse the sink out and swipe the counters. Then I remembered that just that morning, he had gotten up, made me coffee, emptied the dishwasher, and washed a pan that was soaking from the night before. These were pretty nice things to do and I suddenly felt very grateful to him rather than annoyed with him, and so the least I could do was rinse the gunk out of the sink. And thus, a scene was spared. Life is uninterrupted by some petty little argument. I am working on making this a habit because it seems to be making me happier overall.

Comments

Popular Posts