rewards of racing

I like to run races--it gives me some goal to work towards, which helps keep me running--although I am a nervous wreck at the start of every race. It makes no sense to be nervous because I'm not going to be anywhere near the front of the pack, and I'm usually pretty sure I can finish unless I meet with some unfortunate accident. It's just the nervousness of standing in a big group of people who are all waiting for a gun to go off, I guess, and then we all have to set about the task at hand which is to run a bunch of miles, something that is never all that easy. But afterwards, there is camaraderie and bananas and runner talk and, for a half marathon or longer, a medal of some sort. A very few times I've won an age group prize--a small trophy, a gift certificate, a beer mug. Inconsequential stuff but still fun. The next race I'm running is through the vineyards of a local winery and there is wine and food afterwards. Wine is always a big selling point with me but, surprisingly, it is offered after very few races. And the one after that is a women's only half marathon for which the shirt is bright pink and the medal is decorated with flowers and butterflies because they don't have to make them some ugly guy-safe color. These are my inducements for running 13.1 miles on a hot day--a pretty medal and a non-ugly shirt. Yes, the rewards are many. (photo: Magnificent 7 Super 7K in March. Friend Melissa--white tshirt, black tights--is a super enthusiastic runner!)

Comments

LH said…
Love that foto. I have one more week to finish the C25K. Give me some personal trainer motivation, woman!
jdoc said…
I love running the races too and suffer the same nerves. I am just getting back to running post-baby & can't believe how much I've missed it!

Popular Posts