jogging junkie

Honest to goodness, I love running so much. I start to get a little burned out training for a particular race, but as soon as that race is over, and I rest a little, I am already planning on which race to run next. Sometimes I'm not sure why I love it all that much. It's never all that easy to get myself to start running. It's somewhat easier to keep going once I start but then after some odd miles, I am pretty much only thinking about when I can stop again. Running with a buddy helps. We talk and yuck it up and it makes the miles pass. I like seeing the scenery and animals and I love being outside in all seasons. I feel more "connected" to nature if I fully experience all of the seasons. After I run, though, I always feel so good! I feel strong and able and healthy and happy. I guess, in a nutshell, I love running the most after I'm done with a run. Husband used to be a runner but he does not love running anymore, which I can understand. Once you are away from it, it's hard to get back in the groove. Still, and despite the fact that he works hard on his job, husband needs a little aerobic exercise. I have suggested biking as a healthy and fun family activity for years but this suggestion met with total resistance. However, he has grudgingly agreed to ride our bikes a couple of times on the rail trail with my mom and stepdad who are also trying to get a little aerobic exercise in. At one point I stayed back with my mother who goes a bit slower, and husband took off at a very fast clip with my stepdad who is pushing 70 and who has been training for a big hiking trip out West. Stepdad apparently kept pace with the much younger husband on his bike, and this was enough to get husband's goose, as they say. In fact, husband decided that he definitely wants to do more of this biking thing. He began fixing up his old bike and pronounced that he was now "all about the biking". And indeed, on Monday evening after work, he wanted to go on another bike ride. I am all for him being all about the biking. It is a nice cross-trainy type addition to my running, but I know his being "all about the biking" will last approximately one week.

Comments

mm said…
I was talking to a colleague this morning saying that although I was jogging (if one would call it that) every other day, I still hate it. She was appalled. Obviously I am missing something that the two of you have found about it, and I'll keep it up even though I hate it.
LH said…
I've been wanting to hit the B line with the bike.

I like this foto of you.
kc said…
I like your description of the running process (i.e. liking it most when you're done). I agree.

Popular Posts