iridescent indigo

I saw three (three!) male Indigo Buntings while running on the rail trail early on Friday morning. I kept exclaiming, "Indigo Bunting!" and not being a bird watcher and so not all that observant of the birds along the trail, my running buddy would give me a surreptitious sideways glance like boy oh boy, I must be crazy about these Indigo Bunting things. And yes, I am. In my opinion it is just about one of the most beautiful birds in the world and they are right here in Indiana. I was riding bikes along the rail trail two days later with my mother, and I was relaying the amazing fact that I'd seen three Indigo Buntings just the other day, when she surprised me with the information that she, too, did not know what an Indigo Bunting looked like! What? All of these people who are unaware of the beautiful, turquoise-blue, iridescent Indigo Bunting? I feel like I need to sing their praises. Their summer range includes the entire Eastern half of the United States. Keep an eye out for them!

Comments

mm said…
Beautiful.
LH said…
I think they're gorgeous. I see them on the Clear Creek Trail a lot. Is that where you were????
jdoc said…
Did one land on your hand? They are lovely.
Julie Anna said…
Nope, I stole this picture from the world wide web.
Julie Anna said…
Oh and yes I was on the clear creek trail.

Popular Posts