wind and wheels

The husband has ridden motorcycles for close to 40 years. He's a good rider and makes me feel quite safe on the back, so going out on the bike can be a fun thing, despite the obvious dangers. We usually head down the scenic highways and byways of the rolling hills of Southern Indiana. I love the smells of corn fields and pine forests and wildflowers as we whip by on our two wheels. You know when you put your arm out the car window and it feels kind of good as you go zipping down the road? That's how my whole body feels on a motorcycle. We stop at places to eat and get coffee like Story Inn, which is a little bit gourmet, or the 56 Cafe, which is a little bit greasy spoon. There are some lunch places scattered here and there with river or lake vistas and waitresses who call you "Hon". I learned to ride through a motorcycle training course a few years back. I even got a bike and I rode it for about a year. But my kids were much younger then and frankly I just couldn't take the stress of it. When it comes to motorcycles, there is more to learn after you get your license than in the training process to get licensed. Some of these things people learn the hard way, and I just didn't want to push myself over that learning curve. If I'm in control of something with wheels and no seat belts, I'd rather stick to things like scooters, bicycles, and roller blades which don't go over about 30 miles per hour. God knows I've hurt myself plenty on bikes and roller blades. So I now ride on the back and because of husband's estimable expertise, I'm quite comfortable with that.

Comments

LH said…
I want a Vespa, but part of me is afraid I'm going to crash and be paralyzed.

Popular Posts